The Etiquette of proper recitation of Qur'an
The most important rules are as follows:
- The reader to be free of that which breaks a minor ritual ablution (wudu) and to be free of that which breaks a major ritual ablution (ghusl). (The reader should be in a state of ritual purity).
- The place (in which he reads) should be legally pure (tahar)
- The reader should begin with ta'wwuth ﺗَﻌَﻮّذ (seeking refuge in Allah from Shaitaan), be it at the beginning of the surah or the middle. This is according to Allah's (swt) words in Surah An-Nahl:
'So when you recite the Quran, seek refuge in Allah from Satan, the expelled.'
Surah An-Nahl 16:98
5.The reader should read with spiritual openness (khushu) out of respect for the Qur'an. Allah (swt) says:
'If We had sent down this Qur'an upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled and breaking down from fear of Allah...'
Surah Al-Hashr 59:21
7. The reader should read the Qur'an using tajweed and recite it in the best way.
8. The reader should hold back the urge to yawn during reading until it is gone.
9. The reader should avoid interrupting a recitation for the purpose of talking to people, except when necessary.
10. The reader should ask Allah (swt) for His bounty at a verse of mercy and to seek refuge with Allah (swt) at verses of warning.